Connect with us

News

Real reasons Tinubu removed Edun

Published

on

Beyond the rhetorics of cabinet reshuffle, the real reason President Bola Tinubu sacked Wale Edun’s removal as Nigeria’s Minister of Finance and Coordinating Minister of the Economy has been revealed.

Secretary to the Government of the Federation, George Akume, had in a  statement said President Bola Tinubu approved the removal of  Edun and the Minister of Housing and Urban Development, Ahmed Dangiwa, in a minor cabinet reshuffle.

The president immediately elevated newcomer Minister of State for Finance, Taiwo Oyedele, to the position of Minister of Finance and Coordinating Minister of the Economy.

He also named Muttaqha Darma as Minister-designate for Housing and Urban Development.

According to a report by Premium Times, the tension stemmed from widespread complaints about low capital budget releases and slow budget planning by the administration, which has serially disrupted the country’s January-to-December budget cycle.

However, it is the poor release of funds for capital budgets that has drawn the fiercest criticisms, with the president said to be inundated with complaints by ministers and lawmakers.

The Premium Times Report fully reads:

In February, federal lawmakers accused Mr Edun of recording “zero implementation” of the 2025 capital budget despite the National Assembly approving a N1.15 trillion request to fund capital components.

The lawmakers cited widespread complaints from ministries, departments, and agencies (MDAs) about funding shortages and unpaid contractors.

Opposition lawmakers also threatened to seek the removal of Mr Edun and the Accountant-General of the Federation, citing a failure to deliver on promised capital releases.

In his own defence, Mr Edun explained that the government had stopped the “unsustainable” practice of “printing money” to pay contractors, and was focusing on debt servicing.

He later assured that 80 per cent of the 2024 budget had been implemented and that 2025 capital releases were progressing toward a December 2025 completion target.

Insiders said the president intervened with the economic team on several occasions but was not satisfied with the responses.

Matters got to a head between the two when they had an altercation over the issue at a Federal Executive Council meeting on 10 December, 2025.

The exchanges created such tension that the ADC to the president reportedly had to move over to Mr Edun to advise him against raising his voice at the president.

“From that point, it seemed that his (Mr Edun’s) goose was cooked,” said an official who witnessed the incident at the Council Chamber of the presidential villa.

Shortly after, the president devolved some of the minister’s responsibilities to the office of the Minister of State for Finance, then occupied by Doris Uzoka-Anite.

Insiders said from that point on, the president had begun considering options for the strategic portfolio.

Mr Edun made efforts to mend fences with his boss, but found his access to the president increasingly restricted.

Another insider recalled that the minister recently flew to Lagos to pacify the president. Although Mr Tinubu reluctantly met him, the discussions held did not ease the tension between the two erstwhile allies.

The handwriting that Mr Edun was on his way out became visible on the wall when Mr Tinubu appointed Mr Oyedele as Minister of State in March.

Insiders said they instantly knew the curtain was slowly being drawn on Mr Edun’s time in the cabinet and that a long relationship was coming to an end.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

Two APC states reschedule governorship primaries

Published

on

PRESS STATEMENT

The All Progressives Congress (APC) has announced the rescheduling of its Governorship Primary Elections in Bauchi State and Kwara State to Friday, May 22, 2026.

In the same vein, the party has approved a new date for the State House of Assembly Primary Elections in Maradun I and Maradun II constituencies of Zamfara State, which will now hold on Sunday, May 24, 2026.

The decision was ratified by the National Working Committee (NWC) after consultations with critical stakeholders as part of efforts to guarantee a transparent, peaceful, orderly, and credible primary election process.

The party reiterated its commitment to upholding internal democracy and ensuring the successful conduct of all primary elections ahead of the forthcoming polls.

Signed:

Felix Morka

National Publicity Secretary

All Progressives Congress (APC)

Continue Reading

News

Abia moves closer to energy independence

Published

on

The Governor of Abia State has reaffirmed his administration’s commitment to achieving energy independence and expanding access to reliable electricity across the state following a high-level meeting with the leadership of the Niger Delta Power Holding Company (NDPHC).

The governor disclosed this after receiving the Managing Director and Chief Executive Officer of NDPHC, Jennifer Adighije, alongside members of her management team during a courtesy visit to his office.

During the meeting, the governor praised the successful revival of the Alaoji Power Plant in Aba, describing the development as a major breakthrough in ongoing efforts to guarantee stable and uninterrupted electricity supply in the state.

According to him, the restoration of operations at the plant represents a critical milestone in strengthening power generation and supporting industrial growth, particularly within the Aba economic corridor.

He revealed that the Alaoji Power Plant currently dispatches approximately 375 megawatts of electricity to the national grid, while expansion plans are already underway to increase output capacity to nearly 800 megawatts, with long-term projections targeting up to 1,100 megawatts.

The governor noted that electricity remains central to his administration’s broader economic transformation agenda, stressing that sustainable power supply is essential for industrialization, job creation, healthcare delivery, education, and overall social development.

He explained that since assuming office, his government has implemented strategic reforms aimed at repositioning the power sector within the state. These reforms include the ring-fencing of the Aba industrial cluster to ensure more efficient electricity management and the ongoing process to acquire the Umuahia electricity axis of the Enugu Electricity Distribution Company (EEDC).

According to the governor, the measures are designed to place electricity generation, regulation, and distribution substantially under the control of the state government, thereby enabling faster decision-making and improved service delivery.

He expressed optimism that deeper collaboration between Abia State and NDPHC would make it possible to wheel electricity directly from the Alaoji facility to the remaining eight local government areas outside the Aba corridor.

The planned expansion, he said, would ensure that homes, schools, hospitals, and industries across the state gain access to reliable and affordable power supply.

The governor further emphasized that improved electricity infrastructure would significantly boost economic productivity, attract investors, strengthen small and medium-scale enterprises, and enhance the quality of life for residents.

Reaffirming his administration’s vision, he declared that Abia State is prepared to lead Nigeria’s push toward subnational energy independence through strategic partnerships, infrastructure investments, and sector reforms.

He added that the state government remains committed to building a power ecosystem capable of driving industrial production, supporting innovation, and sustaining long-term prosperity for the people of Abia.

Continue Reading

News

Obidient Movement ex mobilization director apologises to Obi, supporters 

Published

on

A former Director of Mobilization of the Obidient Movement, Morris Monye, has issued a public apology to supporters of the movement and to Labour Party presidential candidate, Peter Obi, over a controversial resignation letter he previously released.

In an open letter addressed to members of the Obidient Movement, Monye admitted that he acted out of “frustration and immaturity” when he published the resignation letter, which he said contained statements that unfairly targeted Obi.
According to him, the remarks did not reflect the values of accountability and constructive engagement associated with the movement.
“I allowed deep frustration and personal emotions to cloud my judgment. I made statements that subtly and unnecessarily dragged Peter Obi, a man I still respect for his vision, integrity, and sacrifice for this nation. That was wrong,” he stated.
Monye accepted full responsibility for the letter, stressing that no one influenced or edited his comments before publication. Although he later deleted the letter, he acknowledged that the action had already caused disappointment and loss of trust among supporters.
The former mobilization director also apologized directly to Obi and members of the Obidient Movement, especially young supporters who he said remained committed to the vision of a better Nigeria despite political challenges.
“To Peter Obi himself, Sir, I am sincerely sorry. My words were not a true reflection of the values of sacrifice, accountability, and constructive criticism that you preach,” he wrote.
He further noted that he was not seeking a return to any position within the movement, adding that his apology was motivated by a sense of responsibility and the need to own up to his mistakes.
Monye said he understood that trust could only be rebuilt through consistent actions over time and appealed for forgiveness from members of the movement.
He ended the letter on a lighter note, urging supporters to move forward in unity while reaffirming his commitment to the struggle for a better Nigeria.
Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © 2017 Zox News Theme. Theme by MVP Themes, powered by WordPress.