News
Why Edun, Dangiwa quit their appointments
Immediate past Minister of Finance and Coordinating Minister of the Economy, Wale Edun, and former Minister of Housing and Urban Development, Ahmed Musa Dangiwa, weren’t sacked, the Presidency has clarified.
It said in a statement on Wednesday that the duo voluntarily resigned from the Federal Executive Council (FEC).
The Special Adviser to the President on Information and Strategy, Bayo Onanuga, said Edun tendered his resignation on health grounds ahead of the announcement of his replacement by President Bola Ahmed Tinubu.
Edun, who turned 70 on Monday and has reportedly battled recent ill health, submitted his resignation letter on his birthday, expressing gratitude to the President for the opportunity to serve.
“It has been a pleasure and privilege to serve your administration and the Renewed Hope Agenda.
“Under your leadership, Nigeria has emerged stronger, more resilient and more internationally respected. I wish you and the administration every success in the future”, he wrote.
The statement disclosed that the former minister also paid a valedictory visit to the President at the Presidential Villa on Tuesday, where he held an hour-long meeting before departing to focus on his private business interests.
Similarly, Dangiwa was said to have resigned his appointment and thanked the President for the opportunity to serve in the cabinet.
Before his appointment as minister in August 2023, Dangiwa, an architect, had served as Managing Director of the Federal Mortgage Bank of Nigeria between 2015 and 2022, and as Secretary to the Katsina State Government.
Edun, an economist and investment banker, previously served as Commissioner for Finance in Lagos State between 1999 and 2004 during Tinubu’s tenure as governor.
He also worked with the World Bank and co-founded Investment Banking & Trust Company Limited (now Stanbic IBTC), among other professional engagements.
President Tinubu, according to the statement, expressed deep appreciation to both former ministers for their dedicated service and contributions to his administration’s economic reform agenda.
He also charged the new Minister of Finance and Coordinating Minister of the Economy, Mr Taiwo Oyedele, to consolidate ongoing reforms and advance the administration’s fiscal objectives with “renewed focus, discipline, and innovation.”
The President is expected to forward the name of a ministerial nominee for the Housing and Urban Development Ministry, Mr Muttaqha Rabe Darma, to the Senate for confirmation in the coming days.
“President Tinubu has expressed deep appreciation to Edun and Dangiwa for their dedicated service and significant contributions to the administration’s economic reform programme and wished them continued success in their future endeavours.
“In the same vein, the President has urged the new Minister of Finance, Taiwo Oyedele, to consolidate ongoing reforms and advance the administration’s fiscal and economic objectives with renewed focus, discipline, and innovation.
“President Tinubu will shortly send the ministerial nominee for housing, Muttaqha Rabe Darma, also from Katsina, like Dangiwa, to the Senate for confirmation”, the statement said.
News
Two APC states reschedule governorship primaries
PRESS STATEMENT
The All Progressives Congress (APC) has announced the rescheduling of its Governorship Primary Elections in Bauchi State and Kwara State to Friday, May 22, 2026.
In the same vein, the party has approved a new date for the State House of Assembly Primary Elections in Maradun I and Maradun II constituencies of Zamfara State, which will now hold on Sunday, May 24, 2026.
The decision was ratified by the National Working Committee (NWC) after consultations with critical stakeholders as part of efforts to guarantee a transparent, peaceful, orderly, and credible primary election process.
The party reiterated its commitment to upholding internal democracy and ensuring the successful conduct of all primary elections ahead of the forthcoming polls.
Signed:
Felix Morka
National Publicity Secretary
All Progressives Congress (APC)
News
Abia moves closer to energy independence
The Governor of Abia State has reaffirmed his administration’s commitment to achieving energy independence and expanding access to reliable electricity across the state following a high-level meeting with the leadership of the Niger Delta Power Holding Company (NDPHC).
The governor disclosed this after receiving the Managing Director and Chief Executive Officer of NDPHC, Jennifer Adighije, alongside members of her management team during a courtesy visit to his office.
During the meeting, the governor praised the successful revival of the Alaoji Power Plant in Aba, describing the development as a major breakthrough in ongoing efforts to guarantee stable and uninterrupted electricity supply in the state.
According to him, the restoration of operations at the plant represents a critical milestone in strengthening power generation and supporting industrial growth, particularly within the Aba economic corridor.
He revealed that the Alaoji Power Plant currently dispatches approximately 375 megawatts of electricity to the national grid, while expansion plans are already underway to increase output capacity to nearly 800 megawatts, with long-term projections targeting up to 1,100 megawatts.
The governor noted that electricity remains central to his administration’s broader economic transformation agenda, stressing that sustainable power supply is essential for industrialization, job creation, healthcare delivery, education, and overall social development.
He explained that since assuming office, his government has implemented strategic reforms aimed at repositioning the power sector within the state. These reforms include the ring-fencing of the Aba industrial cluster to ensure more efficient electricity management and the ongoing process to acquire the Umuahia electricity axis of the Enugu Electricity Distribution Company (EEDC).
According to the governor, the measures are designed to place electricity generation, regulation, and distribution substantially under the control of the state government, thereby enabling faster decision-making and improved service delivery.
He expressed optimism that deeper collaboration between Abia State and NDPHC would make it possible to wheel electricity directly from the Alaoji facility to the remaining eight local government areas outside the Aba corridor.
The planned expansion, he said, would ensure that homes, schools, hospitals, and industries across the state gain access to reliable and affordable power supply.
The governor further emphasized that improved electricity infrastructure would significantly boost economic productivity, attract investors, strengthen small and medium-scale enterprises, and enhance the quality of life for residents.
Reaffirming his administration’s vision, he declared that Abia State is prepared to lead Nigeria’s push toward subnational energy independence through strategic partnerships, infrastructure investments, and sector reforms.
He added that the state government remains committed to building a power ecosystem capable of driving industrial production, supporting innovation, and sustaining long-term prosperity for the people of Abia.
News
Obidient Movement ex mobilization director apologises to Obi, supporters
-
News9 years agoThese ’90s fashion trends are making a comeback in 2017
-
Entertainment9 years agoThe final 6 ‘Game of Thrones’ episodes might feel like a full season
-
News9 years agoAccording to Dior Couture, this taboo fashion accessory is back
-
Business9 years agoThe 9 worst mistakes you can ever make at work
-
Sports9 years agoPhillies’ Aaron Altherr makes mind-boggling barehanded play
-
Entertainment9 years agoThe old and New Edition cast comes together to perform
-
Business9 years agoUber and Lyft are finally available in all of New York State
-
Entertainment9 years agoMod turns ‘Counter-Strike’ into a ‘Tekken’ clone with fighting chickens
