Connect with us

News

23 die in auto crashes

Published

on

No fewer than 23 people have lost their lives in separate auto crashes in Ogun and Edo states, with the Federal Road Safety Corps (FRSC) attributing the tragedies to reckless driving, wrongful overtaking and overloading.

In Ogun State, 11 persons died in a lone accident that occurred at Eruku Bridge along the Abeokuta-Lagos route on Saturday night.

The Ogun State Sector Command of the FRSC said the crash involved a gold Toyota vehicle with registration number GGE722KJ, which reportedly somersaulted and plunged off the bridge.

According to a statement issued by the FRSC Superintendent Route Commander of the Ogun Sector, Odunsin Afolabi, the impact trapped all the occupants inside the vehicle after the doors became locked.

“The sector commander, Corps Commander Oludare Ogunjobi, sadly informs the public of the tragic incident of a fatal lone accident at Eruku Bridge along the Abeokuta-Lagos route, which occurred earlier tonight, May 10, 2026.

“The FRSC rescue team from Itori Unit Command was deployed to the scene immediately. But unfortunately, all 11 people on board lost their lives in the crash,” the statement said.

Afolabi disclosed that preliminary investigations pointed to overloading and driving under the influence as the likely causes of the accident.

He added that FRSC officials, with assistance from members of the local community, had to dismantle parts of the vehicle to recover the bodies of the victims.

The corpses were later deposited at the State Specialist Hospital morgue in Ifo.

Reacting to the incident, Ogun State Sector Commander, Corps Commander Oludare Ogunjobi, sympathised with the bereaved families and urged motorists travelling along the Abeokuta-Lagos corridor to be more cautious, especially during night journeys.

In a separate incident in Edo State, 12 persons were confirmed dead in a fatal crash along the Benin–Auchi–Lokoja Road near Egono, close to Ewu.

The FRSC said the accident, which occurred on Wednesday, involved a truck reportedly transporting passengers and goods to Benin City.

The crash also left 14 persons injured, while several others reportedly escaped unhurt.

Eyewitnesses said about 37 passengers were on board the truck when the driver allegedly attempted a dangerous overtaking manoeuvre while speeding, leading to the fatal accident.

Spokesperson for the Edo State Command of the FRSC, Patricia Onwochei, confirmed the incident and attributed the crash to wrongful overtaking.

She said one of the deceased had already been buried, while the remaining 11 corpses were deposited at the mortuary of St. Lazarus Hospital in the area.

The twin tragedies have again raised concerns over persistent cases of reckless driving, overloading and poor compliance with road safety regulations across the country.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

Xenophobia: Obi reveals details of meeting with South African leaders

Published

on

Nigeria Democratic Congress presidential candidate, Peter Obi, has revealed that he held high-level discussions with South African ministers and political party leaders on immigration, regional cooperation, and peaceful coexistence between Nigerians and South Africans.
In a post shared on X, Obi said the meetings took place in Cape Town following an engagement with Nigerians living in the South African city.
According to him, the discussions involved Leon Schreiber, Velenkosini Hlabisa, and Gayton McKenzie.
Obi described the meetings as “productive and candid,” noting that they focused on issues affecting both Nigeria and South Africa, particularly migration, economic hardship, youth unemployment, security concerns, and tensions involving African foreigners in South Africa.
He stressed the need for stronger dialogue and cooperation between the two African nations, saying solutions must be built on justice, mutual respect, and the rule of law.
The former Anambra State governor also called on leaders and citizens in both countries to demonstrate compassion, restraint, and responsible leadership during difficult times.
Obi said all parties involved emphasized the importance of lawful conduct, non-violence, and resisting hate or provocation, while allowing democratic institutions to address grievances through constitutional means.
He added that Africa’s progress depends on unity, economic inclusion, community investment, and protecting the dignity of Africans regardless of where they reside on the continent.
Continue Reading

News

Anxiety mounts as Ebola virus kills 177

Published

on

The Lagos State Government has intensified surveillance and emergency preparedness measures following a deadly outbreak of Ebola Virus Disease in Central and East Africa that has claimed at least 177 lives from nearly 700 suspected cases, raising fresh global health concerns.

The outbreak, currently affecting the Democratic Republic of Congo and Uganda, has prompted the World Health Organisation (WHO) to declare a Public Health Emergency of International Concern (PHEIC) amid fears that difficult terrain and delayed containment efforts could worsen the spread of the virus.

Reacting to the alarming development, the Lagos State Commissioner for Health, Prof. Akin Abayomi, assured residents that no suspected or confirmed Ebola case has been detected in Lagos, even as the state government ramps up monitoring and border screening operations.

In a statement posted on his X handle on Saturday, Abayomi said the state was closely tracking the situation and had activated its emergency response architecture to prevent any possible importation of the deadly virus into Nigeria.

“We are closely monitoring the evolving Ebola outbreak situation in Central and East Africa… we have not seen any cases resembling Ebola in Lagos to date,” he said.

The commissioner explained that Lagos has deployed its outbreak-tested “Biosecurity Bio-shield,” a system developed to rapidly detect, isolate and contain highly infectious diseases. He noted that the framework, first strengthened during the 2014 Ebola outbreak and later reinforced during the COVID-19 pandemic, cholera, diphtheria and Lassa fever outbreaks, remains fully operational.

According to him, the Lagos State Incident Command System (ICS), under the leadership of Governor Babajide Olusola Sanwo-Olu, has been placed on standby to coordinate any emergency response if necessary.

Abayomi disclosed that the state’s Emergency Operations Centre (EOC) is functioning round-the-clock, with epidemiologists and disease surveillance officers monitoring community-level health signals across Lagos.

He further revealed that the Lagos State Infectious Disease Hospital has been placed on high alert, with isolation wards, intensive care units and treatment facilities fully prepared to handle any suspected Ebola cases.

The commissioner added that the state’s Biosafety Level-3 Laboratory located in Yaba has also been placed on enhanced alert to ensure rapid diagnosis of high-risk infectious diseases.

As part of efforts to prevent cross-border transmission, Abayomi said all flights arriving from East and Central Africa are undergoing intensified health screening in collaboration with the Nigeria Centre for Disease Control, the Federal Airports Authority of Nigeria and the Nigeria Institute of Medical Research.

He added that surveillance activities have also been strengthened at seaports and land borders, with Port Health officers placed on heightened alert.

At the grassroots level, Community Health Workers, Community Development Associations and Civil Society Organisations have been integrated into an early-warning system aimed at ensuring the prompt reporting of suspected Ebola cases.

The commissioner said strategic stockpiles of Personal Protective Equipment (PPE), disinfectants and emergency medical supplies have already been positioned across critical locations in the state, while ambulance services remain on standby for rapid deployment.

Despite the rising death toll in Africa’s latest Ebola outbreak, Abayomi urged Lagos residents not to panic, stressing that preparedness and rapid response remain central to the state’s public health strategy.

“Our focus remains prevention, early detection, rapid reporting and swift response. Preparedness is not a temporary reaction for us; it is our permanent culture,” he said.

He advised residents who recently travelled to Congo or Uganda, or had contact with travellers from affected areas and are experiencing symptoms associated with Ebola, to immediately contact emergency lines 767 or 112, or reach the State Epidemiologist on 08023169485.

Continue Reading

News

Two APC states reschedule governorship primaries

Published

on

PRESS STATEMENT

The All Progressives Congress (APC) has announced the rescheduling of its Governorship Primary Elections in Bauchi State and Kwara State to Friday, May 22, 2026.

In the same vein, the party has approved a new date for the State House of Assembly Primary Elections in Maradun I and Maradun II constituencies of Zamfara State, which will now hold on Sunday, May 24, 2026.

The decision was ratified by the National Working Committee (NWC) after consultations with critical stakeholders as part of efforts to guarantee a transparent, peaceful, orderly, and credible primary election process.

The party reiterated its commitment to upholding internal democracy and ensuring the successful conduct of all primary elections ahead of the forthcoming polls.

Signed:

Felix Morka

National Publicity Secretary

All Progressives Congress (APC)

Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © 2017 Zox News Theme. Theme by MVP Themes, powered by WordPress.