Connect with us

News

23 die in auto crashes

Published

on

No fewer than 23 people have lost their lives in separate auto crashes in Ogun and Edo states, with the Federal Road Safety Corps (FRSC) attributing the tragedies to reckless driving, wrongful overtaking and overloading.

In Ogun State, 11 persons died in a lone accident that occurred at Eruku Bridge along the Abeokuta-Lagos route on Saturday night.

The Ogun State Sector Command of the FRSC said the crash involved a gold Toyota vehicle with registration number GGE722KJ, which reportedly somersaulted and plunged off the bridge.

According to a statement issued by the FRSC Superintendent Route Commander of the Ogun Sector, Odunsin Afolabi, the impact trapped all the occupants inside the vehicle after the doors became locked.

“The sector commander, Corps Commander Oludare Ogunjobi, sadly informs the public of the tragic incident of a fatal lone accident at Eruku Bridge along the Abeokuta-Lagos route, which occurred earlier tonight, May 10, 2026.

“The FRSC rescue team from Itori Unit Command was deployed to the scene immediately. But unfortunately, all 11 people on board lost their lives in the crash,” the statement said.

Afolabi disclosed that preliminary investigations pointed to overloading and driving under the influence as the likely causes of the accident.

He added that FRSC officials, with assistance from members of the local community, had to dismantle parts of the vehicle to recover the bodies of the victims.

The corpses were later deposited at the State Specialist Hospital morgue in Ifo.

Reacting to the incident, Ogun State Sector Commander, Corps Commander Oludare Ogunjobi, sympathised with the bereaved families and urged motorists travelling along the Abeokuta-Lagos corridor to be more cautious, especially during night journeys.

In a separate incident in Edo State, 12 persons were confirmed dead in a fatal crash along the Benin–Auchi–Lokoja Road near Egono, close to Ewu.

The FRSC said the accident, which occurred on Wednesday, involved a truck reportedly transporting passengers and goods to Benin City.

The crash also left 14 persons injured, while several others reportedly escaped unhurt.

Eyewitnesses said about 37 passengers were on board the truck when the driver allegedly attempted a dangerous overtaking manoeuvre while speeding, leading to the fatal accident.

Spokesperson for the Edo State Command of the FRSC, Patricia Onwochei, confirmed the incident and attributed the crash to wrongful overtaking.

She said one of the deceased had already been buried, while the remaining 11 corpses were deposited at the mortuary of St. Lazarus Hospital in the area.

The twin tragedies have again raised concerns over persistent cases of reckless driving, overloading and poor compliance with road safety regulations across the country.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

Minister urges entrepreneurs to take advantage of emerging opportunities under AfCTA

Published

on

 

 

 

 

 

Continue Reading

News

Educators, policymakers, development partners, others chat way forward at All Northern Schools Conference

Published

on

 

 

 

 

 

 

Continue Reading

News

Content creator Justice Crack reveals crime that led to his arrest

Published

on

Popular Nigerian content creator Justice Crack has described his arrest and detention as punishment for demanding good governance, accountability, and justice in the country.

 

In a post shared on X, Justice Crack said no Nigerian should face humiliation, intimidation, or torture for speaking out against poor governance, insisting that his ordeal has only strengthened his resolve.

 

The content creator, who was recently arrested by security operatives, said he had always believed that “the child of nobody can become somebody without knowing anybody,” but lamented that the country’s system has made such aspirations difficult for many Nigerians.

 

According to him, his “crime” was believing in a better Nigeria and demanding accountability from leaders.

 

“What I went through, and what I am still going through, has tested me emotionally, mentally, and physically, but it did not break me. Instead, it made me stronger,” he wrote.

 

Justice Crack added that the experience had reinforced his belief that Nigeria could still become a nation where hard work, honesty, and dedication are valued above political connections and power.

 

While noting that the matter remains before the court, he said he would continue to respect the legal process and remain hopeful that justice would prevail.

 

He also urged Nigerians not to give up on the country, expressing optimism that the nation would one day fulfil the dream where ordinary citizens can succeed without influence or connections.

 

“Nigeria will be great again. Do not give up on our country. Someday, the child of nobody will truly become somebody without knowing anybody,” he stated.

 

He ended the post with the statement: “Justice will never be cracked.”

Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © 2017 Zox News Theme. Theme by MVP Themes, powered by WordPress.