Politics
Wike throws fresh challenge at Makinde, Turaki
The Minister of the Federal Capital Territory (FCT), Nyesom Wike, on Wednesday criticised factions within the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) over the party’s lingering leadership crisis.
Wike specifically faulted groups associated with Seyi Makinde and Taminu Turaki, accusing them of deliberately disregarding court rulings, a move he said undermines democratic principles.
Speaking during a media chat in Abuja, the minister dismissed claims of an interim leadership arrangement within the party, describing such moves as illegal and misleading.
“When will people stop being fraudulent? You cannot disobey court judgments and then turn around to deceive Nigerians that you have a legitimate structure. That is not how democracy works,” Wike said.
He maintained that only a leadership recognised by the courts can legitimately administer the party’s affairs, stressing that any parallel structure amounts to illegality.
“You don’t form a leadership in your bedroom and call it a national structure. Let them open an office anywhere and call it PDP secretariat — I dare them. That is how you know what is real and what is not,” he added.
Wike argued that ongoing attempts to constitute what he described as an “illegal caretaker arrangement” were aimed at misleading party members and the public, noting that the judiciary had already provided clarity on the issue.
“The court has made it clear who should run the affairs of the party pending a lawful convention. You cannot ignore that and start setting up another structure. That is fraud,” he said.
The FCT minister further criticised what he described as a decline in integrity among some political actors, including senior lawyers and party leaders, accusing them of undermining institutions for personal gain.
“People you expect to uphold the law are the ones trying to bend it. That is the tragedy of our system,” Wike stated.
Politics
2027: Supporters to raise #.6 billion for opposition party
Politics
Senator tackles APC leadership, governor over primary election
The senator representing Kogi East Senatorial District, has declared that “the battle line has been drawn” between him and Kogi State Governor, Ahmed Usman Ododo, following his defeat in the All Progressives Congress (APC) senatorial primary election.
Isah, one of the seven aspirants who contested for the APC senatorial ticket, alleged widespread irregularities during the exercise, accusing government agents of hijacking electoral materials meant for the primary election.
Speaking after the exercise, the senator said only two votes were recorded in his favour in his own ward, despite his presence there to participate in the process.
According to him, he arrived at his ward expecting to cast his vote but discovered that no electoral officer appeared at the venue. He added that similar incidents were reported in several wards across Kogi East Senatorial District.
The lawmaker said the absence of electoral officials and voting materials prevented many party members from taking part in the primary election in affected areas.
He alleged that the situation was deliberately orchestrated to frustrate his supporters and influence the outcome of the exercise.
Isah maintained that the projects he had executed across Kogi East would continue to strengthen the APC’s chances in the district, including support for the President during future elections.
The senator also expressed disappointment over what he described as unfair treatment from the party leadership and Governor Ododo despite his loyalty and contributions to the APC.
According to him, the governor allegedly turned against him over claims that he intended to challenge him in the future governorship election.
“Well, with the latest development, I will now contest for the governorship position against Governor Ododo when the time comes,” the senator said.
He called on the APC leadership to investigate the alleged hijacking of electoral materials and ensure fairness and transparency in the pa
rty’s electoral process.
Politics
Delta North APC stakeholders reject Okowa’s victory claim, back Ned Nwoko as winner
-
News9 years agoThese ’90s fashion trends are making a comeback in 2017
-
Entertainment9 years agoThe final 6 ‘Game of Thrones’ episodes might feel like a full season
-
News9 years agoAccording to Dior Couture, this taboo fashion accessory is back
-
Business9 years agoThe 9 worst mistakes you can ever make at work
-
Sports9 years agoPhillies’ Aaron Altherr makes mind-boggling barehanded play
-
Entertainment9 years agoThe old and New Edition cast comes together to perform
-
Business9 years agoUber and Lyft are finally available in all of New York State
-
Entertainment9 years agoMod turns ‘Counter-Strike’ into a ‘Tekken’ clone with fighting chickens
