News

From ambassador designate to Germany, Fani Kayode ends in South Africa

Published

on

Former Minister of Aviation, Femi Fani-Kayode, has announced that President Bola Tinubu has approved his redeployment as Nigeria’s Ambassador-Designate to South Africa.

Fani-Kayode disclosed this in a statement on Thursday, stating that the approval followed his request to be reassigned after he was initially nominated for a diplomatic posting to Germany.

According to him, he formally communicated his reservations about the Germany posting to the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and requested consideration for deployment to South Africa instead.

He said the Minister of Foreign Affairs, Yusuf Tuggar, approved the request and forwarded it to President Tinubu, who subsequently granted final approval for the reassignment.

“It gives me pleasure to announce that Mr President has graciously approved my posting as Nigeria’s Ambassador-Designate to South Africa,” he stated.

Fani-Kayode explained that his preference for South Africa was influenced by personal considerations and his desire to serve in a country he had never visited, despite spending much of his life in Europe.

He added that South Africa’s political outlook, economic standing, and relationship with Nigeria also informed his decision.

“I expressed my preference to serve in a country that shares some of my convictions and values in global affairs, possesses the largest economy in Africa, maintains closer ties with Nigeria, and aligns more closely with my pan-African foreign policy perspective,” he said.

The former minister also disclosed that the redeployment was facilitated through a mutual exchange arrangement involving Senator Sam Enang, who had initially been posted to South Africa but later opted for Germany.

Fani-Kayode further dismissed reports alleging that the German government rejected his appointment, describing the claims as false and malicious.

He maintained that no official communication rejecting his nomination was issued by German authorities and said legal action had already been initiated against the media platform responsible for the report.

According to him, the matter has also been reported to relevant security agencies.

He urged journalists and media organisations to verify information before publication to avoid spreading misinformation.

Fani-Kayode also expressed appreciation to President Tinubu and the Minister of Foreign Affairs for approving his redeployment, adding that he is ready to represent Nigeria in South Africa.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Trending

Exit mobile version