Connect with us

Sports

Anthony Joshua gets unusual  challenge

Published

on

Controversial Nigerian entertainer, Portable, has stirred fresh excitement in the boxing scene after boldly challenging heavyweight champion Anthony Joshua to a showdown in the ring — but only for a staggering N1 billion purse.

The outspoken singer made the dramatic declaration on Thursday during a heated public face-off ahead of his celebrity boxing clash with popular streamer Carter Efe.

Brimming with confidence, Portable proclaimed himself the new face of Nigerian boxing, insisting no one could strip him of his title.

“For N1 billion, I’ll take you down,” Portable declared as he called out Joshua before cheering fans.

Portable and Carter Efe are set to square off on Friday in a celebrity exhibition bout at Balmoral Hall, a venue expected to host a packed crowd eager for the highly publicized showdown.

The singer had earlier disclosed in February that he pocketed N40 million for accepting the fight against Carter Efe. He also claimed that businessman E-Money and music executive Soso Soberekon promised him an additional N50 million and a car if he emerges victorious.

On his part, Carter Efe said he accepted the fight after learning the winner would walk away with N50 million.

Portable has carved a growing reputation in celebrity boxing, turning his ring appearances into headline-grabbing spectacles. In April 2025, he defeated Speed Darlington in a bout that dominated social media conversations.

He had earlier recorded victories over actor Charles Okocha in December 2023 and Kelvin Power in February 2024.

With another fight looming and an audacious challenge thrown at Anthony Joshua, Portable is once again proving that whether in music or boxing, he knows how to command attention.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Sports

Gombe Central senatorial: Metchie congratulates Ahmadu over victory 

Published

on

A United Nations Africa Peace Ambassador, Dr John Metchie has commended a retired Deputy Commissioner of Police (DCP) Mohammed Ahmadu, as he emerged the senatorial candidate of the All Progressives Congress (APC) for the Gombe Central ahead of 2027 general elections.
In a congratulatory message shortly after the APC primaries, Dr Metchie described Ahmadu’s victory as “a triumph of character, competence, loyalty and service-driven statesmanship.”
He lauded the retired police officer for what he described as “a remarkable journey from disciplined national service to people-oriented political leadership.”
According to Metchie, “This is the way it’s done in the developed world. You woo qualified, experienced and knowledgeable patriots to serve in sensitive positions.”
He commended all those who made Ahmadu’s emergence possible, stressing that the retired police officer widely known as the Jarman Deba, represents a major boost not only for the APC in Gombe State but also for democratic representation anchored on integrity, grassroots connection and proven commitment to community development.
He noted that Ahmadu has demonstrated uncommon political maturity and steadfast loyalty to the APC family even in moments of disappointment. “Today’s victory is, therefore, richly deserved,” he added.
He further stated that Ahmad’s emergence reflects growing public confidence in leaders with practical records of service, discipline and measurable grassroots impact.
“Before venturing fully into partisan politics, DCP Mohammed Ahmadu built an extensive career within the Nigeria Police Force, rising meritoriously through the ranks to become a Deputy Commissioner of Police.
“Throughout his policing career, he distinguished himself in operational leadership, public safety administration, conflict management, intelligence coordination and community policing initiatives.
“Political observers in Gombe State said his transition from security service into public leadership has been largely defined by philanthropy, youth empowerment, rural development and community-focused interventions across the Yamaltu/Deba axis and surrounding communities,” Metchie stated.
He commended his investment in rural electrification and social infrastructure, describing such interventions as evidence of practical leadership beyond campaign rhetoric.
“DCP Ahmadu facilitated more than N29 million worth of rural electrification and solar street light projects across Deba town and neighbouring communities, significantly improving security, economic activity and social life in underserved rural areas.
“In the education sector, he has received commendation for sponsoring NECO registrations for students, supporting classroom construction projects and providing learning materials to schools across his constituency.
“These interventions are silent but transformational investments in human capital development. Genuine leadership must be measured by direct impact on ordinary citizens,” he stated.
On Ahmad’s contributions to youth employment and social inclusion, Metchie said over 80 youths have reportedly secured employment as Forest Guards through his strategic and in other establishments, a move many local stakeholders believe helped reduce unemployment pressures and social vulnerability among young people.
“Empowering youths is one of the strongest non-kinetic approaches to fighting insecurity, crime, drug abuse, and social unrest. DCP Mohammed Ahmadu understands this reality deeply because of his background in law enforcement and community security management,” Metchie noted.
In further demonstration of his commitment to unity and peaceful coexistence, the APC flag bearer also reportedly funded renovation and solar electrification projects for both mosques and churches within his constituency; an initiative Metchie described as a symbol of inclusive leadership and religious harmony.
The congratulatory message equally projected confidence in the candidate’s legislative agenda for the Senate, especially in areas of security of lives and properties, youth empowerment, agriculture, healthcare, education, rural infrastructure, and economic support for small businesses and local farmers.
Observers say DCP Mohammed Ahmadu’s campaign is gaining momentum due to his grassroots visibility, security background, philanthropic footprints, and growing support among youth groups, community associations, traditional stakeholders, and APC loyalists across Gombe Central, and beyond.
Amb. Dr. Metchie stressed that Nigeria’s evolving democratic landscape increasingly demands leaders with tested records rather than “career politicians disconnected from the realities of the people.”
“His emergence sends a powerful signal that experience, discipline, patriotism, and community service still matter in Nigerian politics. Gombe Central deserves a representative who understands both the security and developmental needs of the people, and DCP Mohammed Ahmadu Jarman Deba fits that responsibility,” he declared.
Political analysts believe his emergence could significantly strengthen APC’s electoral calculations in the zone, especially considering his longstanding relationship with grassroots communities and his reputation as a loyal party mobiliser.
For many supporters across Gombe State, the retired Deputy Commissioner’s journey from policing the nation to seeking legislative representation is being viewed as a continuation of public service, only this time through policymaking, advocacy, and democratic governance.
As the 11th Senate contest gradually gathers momentum nationwide, DCP Mohammed Ahmadu, Jarman Deba’s candidacy is increasingly being framed by supporters as the rise of a tested patriot whose blend of security expertise, philanthropy, political loyalty, and grassroots engagement could redefine representation for Gombe Central Senatorial District in Nigeria.
Continue Reading

Sports

Italian club crowns Nigerian goalkeeper player of the season

Published

on

Maduka Okoye has been named Player of the Season by Udinese after an impressive campaign with the Serie A side.

The Super Eagles goalkeeper earned the recognition following a series of outstanding performances for the Zebras throughout the season.

 

Okoye, 26, endured a difficult start to the campaign after serving a two-month suspension linked to an alleged match-fixing investigation. However, the Nigerian shot-stopper returned strongly to reclaim his place as Udinese’s first-choice goalkeeper.

 

He delivered standout displays in key matches against and , helping his side secure important results during the season.

 

The goalkeeper has recorded 10 clean sheets in 29 league appearances for Udinese this term, underlining his importance to the club’s campaign.

 

Okoye’s fine form has also earned him a nomination for the Serie A Player of the Month award for May.

Continue Reading

Sports

Why Barcelona may not consider Osimhen

Published

on

Spanish champions are reportedly weighing a move for Nigerian striker , although concerns remain within the club over the financial and sporting implications of the deal.

According to a post by on X, Osimhen has been identified as a proven goalscorer capable of deciding matches with his strength and finishing ability. However, the Catalan club are said to have reservations about the overall cost of the transfer, his profile, and the lack of complete internal agreement over pursuing the move.

The report added that while Barcelona acknowledge the striker’s quality, the operation carries significant financial and sporting question marks as the club continues to manage its squad planning ahead of the new season.

Meanwhile, Barcelona manager is expected to hold talks with several academy players before the start of pre-season preparations.

Youngsters Tommy Marqués, Xavi Espart and Álvaro Cortés, who have all trained with the senior squad, are reportedly waiting to learn the club’s plans regarding their futures. Flick is said to be pleased with their development, although temporary loan moves remain a possibility if the club decides they need more regular playing time.

In another development, veteran striker is reportedly planning to settle permanently in Barcelona with his family after retirement from football.

Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © 2017 Zox News Theme. Theme by MVP Themes, powered by WordPress.